BootCamp and Paralells - first tests

25 May

I’ve had a little too much to do lately. Despite having a brand new MacBook Pro next to me on the table I’ve had to do client work. All work - no play, but today is a public holiday so I finally have some time on my hands! Installin BootCamp and Paralells was a breeze. Installing XP on these took it’s time as usual, bt it worked perfectly. The driver disk made by the BootCamp software worked perfectly and all devices was up and running at first reboot. Perfect!

The first thing I did in Boot Camp was installing C&C Generals: Zero Hour since that’s one of the games I play a lot. Worked like a charm and I´ve never had that good framerates on my gaming-PC (2Ghz Pentium M with 1 gig ram and ATI XT800 GPU). It was however odd to play a RTS game with only one mouse button smile

Next step: testing compile times with FlashDevelop on Paralells.

(This is also my first post from the MacBook. Something up with the apostrophes? hmmm)

25 May 2006 at 5:03 pm

10 Responses to BootCamp and Paralells - first tests

Welfl 25 May 2006 at 10:19 pm #

Based on your description of a one-button mouse, I don’t know if you are referring to the trackpad or to an actual mouse. Did you buy an Apple mouse with your MacBook Pro?

If you have an old third-party, two-button, USB mouse, you can plug it into the MacBook Pro. It will run immediately on the OS X side without installing any additional software, and I’m sure it will run on the Windows side without too much hassle.

Jensa 26 May 2006 at 1:48 am #

Yup. My Razer Copperhead gaming mouse works like a charm both on the Mac and with Paralells emlation. It’s a bit “choppy” when emulated, but it’s not too annoying.

Welfl 26 May 2006 at 10:13 am #

As for your apostrophes, did you type the entry directly in the browser’s blogging window, or did you copy and paste it from a word processor or text editor? If you copied and pasted, that’s where the problem arose. In the future, you will need to convert to plain text before copying. Apple’s TextEdit application has that option under the Format menu. If you typed the entry on the Windows side, you probably know how to convert to plain text in the appropriate application already).

If you were on the Mac side while writing the post and did it directly in the browser’s blogging window, try different browsers (Safari, Firefox, Camino, Opera—all are free). Personally, I don’t think it was the browser that did it. I’ve never had that trouble with any browser. It only happens when I copy and paste rich text from a word processor or text editor into Yahoo! Mail or Blogger.com or some similar blogging site.

I hope you’re having fun with your new Mac. I also hope you will find time to explore Mac OS X as much as you can and not stay on the Windows side too much. Pretty soon, with the exception of gaming, you may start to wonder why you would ever want to go to the Windows side again. wink

P.S. As a former Macintosh Network Administrator, I will be glad to suggest all sorts of excellent applications for you (including lots of great freeware). The MacUpdate web site is a great place to start, as is Version Tracker.

Jensa 26 May 2006 at 3:47 pm #

Hi Welfl,

Thanks for the application tips! My biggest problem right now is that I used Thunderbird for email on the PC. For some odd reason. the nice people at Mozilla didn’t make an importer for “Thunderbird” (it self), only for other mail programs. It probably hasn’t occured to them that people switching might want to use the same email program? Oh well. I’ll just use the standard Mail-software from Apple then.

Welfl 26 May 2006 at 11:12 pm #

“If you start using Thunderbird on Windows and then later decide to get a Mac, you can take the mail store from your Windows machine and copy it over to your Mac and have it work seamlessly. This is a feature unique to Thunderbird and should be well appreciated in a corporate environment where a variety of desktop operating systems are used.” - ArsTechnica

I’ve never done that, but I suspected it was true since it is a cross-platform application.

A script to export Mail’s mboxes for Thunderbird.

Finally, I’ve used both Thunderbird and Apple’s Mail extensively. There are great features in both, and I really like both, but I find that Apple’s Mail is far more versatile and user friendly than Thunderbird, especially in importing and exporting messages.

I hope this helps.

Jensa 28 May 2006 at 2:33 am #

Hi Welfl.
    I can hereby confirm that “you can NOT take the mail store from your Windows machine and copy it over to your Mac”. Tried at least 5 different ways of doing it and it failed horribly ever time. As soon as you start tampering with the mail-store, Thunderbird won’t restart.

Not a problem though. It took Apple Mail about 7 hours to import all my 79900 emails (I have a copy of all my emails, all the way back from 1996), but now it works like a charm. Some of it’s features are actually better than Thunderbird so I don’t think I’ll bother to switch back to Thunderbird again.

Thanks for helping out!

Martin 15 June 2006 at 12:34 am #

Hello,

At the office, I’m planning to buy the new iMac 20in Intel Core Duo. Here, a few people are on PCs and a few others on Mac. I need to have access to both systems. Right now, I have a PC with Thunderbird running.
    I will have both systems installed with bootcamp and a third FAT32 shared partition for all my documents, so I can access them read+write from both systems.

If I install Thunderbird on WinXP and also on Mac OS X, can I configure them to access the same mail folders on the shared disk so that I always have access to my emails from both systems ? I’m doing this because if I’m working in a WinXP software, I won’t need to switch to Mac OS to access my emails (if Thunderbird is on Mac OS), and vice-versa if Thunderbird is on WinXP. I may work on one system for a few hours, then switch to the other. I may spend a day working on one system and on the other system the next day. I don’t want to change to the other system just to check my emails.

From what I have red here, does not sound good.

Thanks a lot.

Jensa 15 June 2006 at 1:19 am #

Hi Martin,

Martin 15 June 2006 at 3:21 am #

Hello Jensa,
    Thanks for your fast reply. I saw how Paralells works and it is very interresting. I found this about sharing Thunderbird and Firefox profiles.
    It’s for Linux but it gives me a little hope.

Herman 25 August 2007 at 12:06 am #

I’ve succeed to migrate the Thunderbird mail from Windows to Mac.

just copy the Profile folder from your windows Thunderbird to the Profiles folder in Mac.

then edit the Profile.ini file in the mac

change the Path to the directory of your copied data folder

all email accounts and configuration successfully migrate.