Flash Physics

16 Dec

Duhh… Yet again, my gaming PC crashes while playing Rise of Legends, just when it started to get intense and I didn’t save (Glad I switched to Mac so the same don’t happen on my development-machine). Will be some time until we get such a quality (if ever) in Flash-games, but my hopes are high that there will be some sort of 3D engine in the upcoming Flash 10 player. While we wait for that - Andre Michelle just blogged a nice 2D physics engine for Flash and AS3 that was just released as Open Source: Fisix.

Fisix looks promising, but it’s still a little slow, especially when played back on an Intel Mac. Slightly irritating that I get better FPS using virtualization running Parallels and XP in a window on the OSX desktop. One would think that now that all the Adobe-folks are running Intel Macs themselves they’d do something about this?

16 December 2006 at 8:21 pm

5 Responses to Flash Physics

Bob 17 December 2006 at 10:40 am #

Just wanted to point out that the engine isn’t released as open source, but non-commercial.

Tink 19 December 2006 at 6:18 pm #

This isn’t open source as far as i can see. The download is a compiled library and there are licensing fees,

Jensa 19 December 2006 at 6:28 pm #

Hi Tink,
    Thanks for pointing that out! They apparently offer a “shareware license” for non-commercial projects but charge if you use it commercially.

G 21 December 2006 at 6:17 pm #

“that there will be some sort of 3D engine in the upcoming Flash 10 player”

Where did you hear about version 10 of flash player? Version 9 has only recently become public and has many advantages that have not yet been widely utilised. I can’t imagine another major version so soon. Seems like the sort of thing they ‘might’ have mentioned on adobe labs. Maybe you mean shockwave player v10?

Until flash player can take advantage of the gpu as well as the cpu we won’t be seeing any worthwhile use of actionscript 3d engines.  That is why director is still around… it uses the gpu

Haydn Ewers 22 December 2006 at 10:05 am #